After a couple of years in the USA I’m almost used to the idea that in written dates, the month comes before the day.
So in the UK and some other parts of the world, today is 20/3/16.
But in the US it’s 3/20/16, or Three Twenty.
And in a terribly convoluted way, this is particularly apt.
Today, you see, is the United Nations International Day of Happiness, clearly deliberately arranged to fall on a date which rhymes with Glee Plenty.
Anyway, although it’s good to promote happiness any, and every, day of the year, you and I have special call to do so today.
So on the basis of happiness being like jam, because it’s just about impossible to spread it without getting some on yourself, here are five suggestions for actions you can take today.
And please do.
1. Think of someone who deserves your proper thanks, but so far has been under-recognised. Please thank them properly today, making your gratitude specific. Spell out exactly what they’ve done, doing your level best to ensure your gratitude is truly heartfelt.
2. Hand out smiles today as though they cost you nothing, because they don’t. And remember, by the way, smiles are even better when you mean them.
3. Please do your utmost to go about your day being constructive rather than destructive. Praise rather than criticise. (You’re great.)
4. Give people the benefit of the doubt. When someone is short with you for no apparent reason, assume they’re fighting a battle elsewhere in their life. Show kindness rather than anger.
5. Take one small action to maintain the environment we share with each other. Pick up a piece of litter. Plant something. Feed the birds.
OK, I know I said five suggestions, but let’s add one more for luck:
6. Why not forward this email to a friend, and encourage them to do the same again with one of their own friends? This way, we’ll amplify our efforts to spread, er, Glee Plenty.
Happy Happiness Day.