Let’s not beat around the bush.
There are times when we all have to deal with situations and circumstances that are likely to be mood-lowering, even for the most resilient individual.
When this happens it’s helpful to have some coping strategies on which to fall back.
Think of them as a kind of first-aid kit for the mind.
I’m sure you’ll already have a few of your own for such challenging times, but here’s a list of ten, one or more of which may be new to you, or at best forgotten.
1. Make a list of the things you like most about yourself.
2. Get out of the house or office to enjoy some time in nature.
3. Forget technology. Talk face-to-face with your family and/or friends.
4. Listen properly to your favourite music, giving it your 100% focus.
5. Fill the bath tub for a long hot soak. Bubbles always help.
6. Polish off a few small jobs you’ve been meaning to do for ages.
7. Sit down and absorb yourself in a really good book.
8. Watch an amusing TV show or movie.
9. Play with a pet – someone else’s if you don’t have your own.
10. Do something – anything – spontaneous. Just get up and do it.
Of course not all of these will suit you, but some may.
So keep them in the back of your mind ready for a grey day, just as you might keep medicines in a kitchen or bathroom cupboard.